Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Tilt and shift



According to Wiki:
Tilt-shift photography refers to the use of camera movements on small- and medium format cameras. In many cases, it refers to tilting the lens relative to the image plane and using a large aperture to achieve a very shallow depth of field. The technique relies on the Scheimpflug principle and usually requires the use of special lenses.

“Tilt-shift” actually encompasses two different types of movements: rotation of the lens, called tilt, and movement of the lens parallel to the image plane, called shift. Tilt is used to control the orientation of the plane of focus (PoF), and hence the part of an image that appears sharp. Shift is used to control perspective, usually involving the convergence of parallel lines. (More
here)

Tilt shift photographs create an optical illusion that makes scenes appear as if they are actually miniature models (like your uncle’s train set). The outer edges are blurred which tricks the eye into perceiving everything in the unblurred parts as miniature. There is a Flickr group dedicated to this technique. It’s a fun post processing trick - and it’s quite easy to reproduce.

Well, this tilt-shift photography style is kind of the "in" thing these days since I've read and seen a lot of photos on the web using this interesting method. There's no way for me to afford the lenses that could do the tilt and shift effect but I've found a way to create a fake one, using photoshop of course. Tutorial is here click. Not hard to do it actually. So here's my result.

Photobucket

Does the cars look like miniature models??? Oklah, I'm still pretty much a n00b/amateur on this. I seem to have overdone the blurness of this photo...anyway, I was bored so I went on and tried the tutorial when I arrived to the office yesterday. I guess I was dreading to go back to work after the long weekends. Two more classes to go and then they'll be tons of grading to do! 

Had a good day hanging out with the guys during the public holiday. The weather was by far the BEST weather of the year. It was drizzling and cold...like I've said before, I'm not a big fan of rainy days but Monday's weather was just sooo friggin' nice :)

2 comments:

orilia said...

wow, this is very cool. o.o

Vivien Dumpangol said...

hehehe...yeah, you should try it too! :P