Monday, January 17, 2011

Pray

Something that I was pondering on while I was in the Sunday Mass yesterday...

Have you ever prayed, asking God to fulfil your wishes, and by wishes I meant more personal things like wishing you will pass an exam, wishing to get that iphone you've been eyeing on, wishing that you will find a Zac Efron lookalike boyfriend, etc...

I have been wanting to pray for more personal stuffs BUT I normally don't do so because there is always that little voice in my head that says if you pray for things that you want or just personal things that you wish to achieve, what about the others that needed the prayers more than you do? It would be a little selfish to just pray for yourself right? Someone once told me that when we pray, we would put God first no matter what. Then we'll pray for our family, relatives, friends and finally we'll pray for ourselves.

So far, I've been consistently doing that over the years...praying to God for people who matters to me most first but sometimes, I really wanted to just pray for myself and hopefully someday, my prayers will be answered. It'll be like an easy access to God without going through the process of praying for others first. It's just like what my friend told me; if I ask, I'll get the answer. But still, I might feel a little guilty and selfish to be asking things for me first and not think about others right?

3 comments:

Bea said...

dear vivien,
it's about the motive of our prayers not the hierarchical order...we can pray for others first and yet have a selfish motive...

yes, put God first...meaning give thanks and praise to God for who He is and what He has done for us...

Jesus has also taught us how to pray through the Lord's prayer...=)

This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him. ~1 john 5:14-15


prayer to me, is a way to communicate with God...it's not always formal and sometimes it's like a casual chat with my Father in Heaven...i tell Him my problems, needs, happy/sad moments,etc...and i know He listens and takes care of my needs...though not how i'd want it sometimes, but He knows what's best for me...

May you have a great chat with God~ =)

Santafire said...

as for me, i can't exactly say i have a prayer life. it usually goes like a conversation for me, and sometimes i ask Him where i put my socks to showing me some shortcuts outta traffic jam, oh Lord stop the kitty from crossing the road, and such.

sometimes, i just tell Him i love Him. i guess its more to conversation cause i don't really end with amen and go about life like He's not part of it.

Ivan Ho said...

triple like. the post with feeling.