Thursday, March 08, 2012

Chinese-fied

Was going through my archive and actually found this! Written on January 12, 2005...about 7 years ago. 
Never thought I was quite a Lee Hom fan already hahaha.

When my mum called me on Monday night, I told her about the Lee Hom concert that I managed to attend last Saturday night. Yes, I am very surprised at myself to since I never been into a Chinese concert before and most of the concerts that I've attended were international and local ones. But it was definitely a worthy experience and I did not have any regrets at all for attending Lee Hom's concert because he was just AMAZING! Like really amazing that I have a higher respect for him as a musician now.

I knew the existence of Lee Hom way back in high school...I think it was in year 2000, when I watched   this Hong Kong movie called China Strike Force starring Aaron Kwok and Lee Hom himself...but unfortunately he died in that movie, dang! Anyway, there was a song in the movie soundtrack sang by Lee Hom called 不要害怕 (Bu Yau Hai Pa) or in English it is called Don't Be Afraid that I really like and surprise, surprise...it actually lead me to buy that movie soundtrack just to hear that one song. Back then cassettes were still very popular haha. Then when I was in college, I stayed with a bunch of Chinese housemates...it was hard to adapt at first but I got used to it eventually. Two of my housemates were big fan of Lee Hom so everytime we were doing our assignments downstairs, I had no choice but to join them listening to Chinese songs which was not THAT bad to be honest. Most of the time my housemates would listen to songs from Jay Chou, David Tao, Power Station and of course Lee Hom. Right after that, I realised that I grew to like a lot of Lee Hom's songs even though at that time, I really don't want to admit it heh. Then I also got to know Ivan who was my classmate in college, he was also a fan of Lee Hom and if I can recall he also did told me stuffs about his (Lee Hom) music...but I'm really not sure cos we don't really hang out that much back then.

Fast forward to the present, Lee Hom has already been my favourite Chinese singer although I admit I don't listen to his songs that frequently but only from time to time or whenever I was in the karaoke session with my Chinese friends here. When Ivan asked me if I wanted to go and attend Lee Hom's concert the night before, I was quite skeptical about it because I just didn't know what to expect. I knew that Lee Hom's concert was gonna be good but I was still feeling unsure about whether I should go or not. Plus the cheapest ticket price was all sold out and I was really trying to save up some $$$ but at the end, I decided to go because hey, it's Lee Hom! Why would I want to miss this chance to see him live right? 

So on Saturday morning, we went over to Mid Valley and purchased the concert tickets...since the concert is only starting at 8pm, we hung out and even drank beers...I know, it's not something that I would normally do haha! Unfortunately the weather decided not to be at its good side because it rained but of course that won't stop us and the rest of the fans from going to Lee Hom's concert. The concert started about 8.30pm and when the lights  went off, I was already feeling giddy inside but luckily I was able to control my composure cos I might go crazy screaming if I was standing near the stage hahaha.

The opening number 火力全開 (Huo Li Qian Kai) was sooooo impressive...with all the nice visual effects and the explosive firework thing. I absolutely love all the oriental theme visuals! One word. Stunned. I was completely stunned just by looking at everything and I kept saying 'Wow!' in my head. Right after that, I just felt like I couldn't take my eyes on the  stage till the end of the concert. If the opening wasn't impressive enough, Lee Hom showed more of his musical capabilities by playing the piano (loveeee his piano btw), the violin ( I think most girls was swooned over when he played the violin during his 'Julia' song), electric guitar (his music man guitar was one of a kind) and best of all, the traditional Chinese music instrument...erhu! Ohhh...he brought out a bunch of orchestra players too and acted as the conductor for them while performing...errr I have no idea what the song title is :P  According to Ivan, when Lee Hom was playing the violin...it gave this 'shivering' feeling on us hahaha. Well, at that moment when Lee Hom was serenading everybody with the erhu, I already felt like wanting to give him a standing ovation :)

Another part that I love about the concert was when he decided to sing in acapella medley on some of his songs like 爱的就是你 (Ai de Jiu Shi Ni), 我们的歌 (Wo Men De Ge) and also that song where he did a duet with Selina of S.H.E (can't remember the song's name). It was really creative of him to feature those virtual backup singers plus even a virtual Selina at the LED screen. He also invited a bunch of kids from a local school to sing together with him on stage...can't remember the song's name as well but I thought that was a real nice thing for him to do as well. Halfway through the concert, the rain started pouring again and we had to wear this cheap plastic bag raincoat so we won't get drenched. But the show had to go on...Lee Hom even jokingly said that he actually came to Malaysia just to take a bath. Hahaha! Well, at least he's kind enough to make the whole atmosphere feel happy and not pissed about the damn rain. Some of my favourite songs that Lee Hom performed were (please do note that I don't know how to read Chinese Characters so it's a copy & paste thing lol) Forever Love, Kiss Goodbye, 盖世英雄 (Gai Shi Ying Xiong), 花田错 (Hua Tian Cuo), 美 (Mei), 唯一 (Wei Yi), and some songs that I really can't remember the title because it's in Chinese. Sad thing that I can't read  Chinese characters...if not I would definitely sing along on all the songs plus my mother would be REALLY proud of me for embracing my Chinese roots hahaha. But even if I don't know...okay, I only know some of what Lee Hom's songs are talking about, sometimes it's the music, the melody, the beat or just the feeling of the songs that will make you listen to it. It's pretty much the same like how we tend to listen to K-Pop or any other non-English/Malay songs...we might not understand the language but we still listen to it because of the beat, melody and the feeling that you will get while listening to it.

I really did enjoyed the entire concert, though it was a little too long...and the feeling that I felt during the concert was something that I couldn't really express it here. You just had to be there to experience it yourself. All I can say is this concert has left me feeling satisfied and happy. Did you know that Lee Hom even went around the Stadium just to let his fans see him closer? WIN! I could honestly say it was one of the best concerts I've been too. Okay, scratch that...it was indeed the best concert I've been too so far and the surprising thing was...it was a Chinese concert. Definitely something that is totally not expected. Big thanks to Ivan for convincing me to attend this concert because if he didn't tell me that it was gonna be a worth experience, I wouldn't even thought of going...I probably would've consider going to LMFAO instead hahaha. *kidding* and thanks to Ivan's sister and her other half for driving us there...it was pretty awkward (as always) but it's okay. Sometimes you need to get the  awkwardness out of your system hehe and thanks to Lee Hom for making me appreciate my Asian Chinese roots and of course for the amazeballs concert! Awesome worthy experience :)

9 comments:

Ivan Ho said...

Such a long & details post hahaha. GOOD!!! & is good u have a good time. Now u know y i always very support his music, i really very very high expectation for his performance so i said "its good". its really good among the A category. i will call him chinese wakil as well because he got what it takes to make chinese proud. I got no worry u will like it or not cos all the while he is on track n doing well. Just like what u said: if others ask me to express hows the concept, i can only said is good n next time please buy the most expensive ticket to experience yourself hahaha

Vivien Dumpangol said...

hahaha...when you write from your heart, surely you can write so many things...next time mush see lee hom in the VIP area already haha.

Ivan Ho said...

hahaha... VIP zone i scare u run up to the stage to wrap him. how come u got the ticket fotos???

Vivien Dumpangol said...

if i jump to the stage sure all the little girls will shoot me hahaha...i took the ticket photo before we went to the concert...for instagram.

simone said...

i want to go to Lee Hom concert too hahahahahahahaah... glad both of you had fun... and nice shots babes...

Vivien Dumpangol said...

you HAVE to go next time, to experience his awesomeness haha!

simone said...

ahahaha...if that's the case then i shall pun u on duty for updating me on up coming concerts...

Vivien Dumpangol said...

when is BIGBANG coming here? sya mau pigi their concert! hahaha...TOP!!!

Anonymous said...

GD & TOP was here last year, remember? The one that I went to? BigBang's concert I'll let you know when I have news cause I heard they will be having concerts in 16 countries but not too sure whether Malaysia is one of them. If there's one in Spore, WE GO. ~Simone~