Monday, August 07, 2017

Pope's Intention (August)


Out of all the things that I am capable to do, I *think* the most capable thing that I know I can excel in, is art. Although I doubt myself over and over again and even up until now, I have tried, strived and wanted to be the best but unfortunately that didn't happen lol. Last month I helped to design this signage for the COD St. Thomas More Family Day booth. I envisioned the signage to be 'chalkboard inspired' and was really hoping that I could produce the good outcome on it. Well, turns out...it was just not how I wanted it to be. First, I didn't realised that I spelt the word 'gourmet' with an extra 'N' until one COD member pointed it out in the group chat. I remembered I had to attend a briefing at work and did not manage to check my phone 2 hours later. When I finally realised it, I was like 'Oh DAMN.' It's not a major thing to be honest but then I don't know why it affected me so much that I ended up blaming the mistakes to myself. Plus, let's talk about the lettering on the signage as well. Obviously, I was writing the drink menu OUT of the baseline which resulted an obvious inconsistency on the text. I was told how the other stalls had really nice signages (because it was done from computer so of course it would be nicer) and then...there was my signage. Painstakingly hand drawn at the 11th hour and was displayed with its full glory during the Family Day. I know nobody complained about it or say anything bad about it but...it is just me being too hard on myself. Having too much demand in myself but failed to achieve it. 

I think that's how the art people can be. No matter how much time and effort you put into producing your artworks, you can still be unsatisfied about it. One of the evil reason being: comparing yourself to others. I don't even know how to get through this most of the time. It's like the minute someone is telling me how great their artwork is, I ended up questioning about my own artwork. Is it good enough? Has my watercolour skills improved or has my lettering skills are up to par after putting a lot of time to practice? All these overthinking and 'being hard on myself' is truly something that I battle most of the time especially when it comes to my own artistic skills. It's funny that I teach art+design for a living and yet I still feel very underachieved in so many aspects in my life lol.

The point that I am saying is that a lot of times when I go through this 'artistic-block' I tend to forget immediately on the sole purpose on why I was doing this in the first place. Last week, I was requested to design a banner for the Pope's Prayer Intention to put it on a Church's website. It was so apt that this month, the Pope's prayer intention is directly towards artists and it was definitely something that I needed when I am currently in this situation.

“This world in which we live needs beauty in order not to sink into despair. It is beauty, like truth, which brings joy to the human heart and is that precious fruit which resists the wear and tear of time, which unites generations and makes them share things in admiration.”

“Architects and painters, sculptors and musicians, filmmakers and writers, photographers and poets, artists of every discipline, are called to make beauty shine, especially where darkness and greyness dominate everyday life; they are custodians of beauty, heralds and witnesses of hope for humanity, as my predecessors have repeated many times.”

They say that every Christian is called to be an instrument of God. No matter what our role is, big or small...we have been gifted with skills and talents to use and glorify it back to God. The problem with me is that I neglect this very reason and probably never truly appreciate this beautiful gift and blessing. So thank you Pope Francis for this wonderful reminder yet again and also to assure that the things that I do will always be glorified back to God. I know I am never gonna be as great as Michelangelo and make beauty shine throughout the Sistine Chapel but I hope I am able to understand that through my little effort in making/creating art, it will eventually make all things beautiful and also bring joy to the human heart. As for that coffee signage, although it is not appealing as it looks like, I will try to be better again.

P/S: I might fall back to having insecurities with my art skill again from time to time. Please do bear with me hahahah. I am trying hard to work on myself :)

P/P/S: Wow, finally an update!

No comments: